Conover Design


Dave Conover is one of the coolest guys I met on my Graphic Design journey thus far, right up there next to Ron Miriello, boy  I'd love to go out for some beers with those two. Now back to the subject, Dave was such a humble, lay back veteran of design very eager to share his knowledge with us. It was cool learning about how he and his wife work together, in the same business/building and the pros and cons that go with that.

Some of the great take-aways from this tour were things like: always start with MANY low-fi concepts (a.k.a. sketches). Always take 50% up front, if they're not willing to pay it, then chances are they're not serious or trustworthy. Dont hide behind emails, follow-up, be indispensable, stay curious, always keep learning. When studying other designers campaigns, ask yourself: what are the successful characteristics?

A great quote I jotted down from Dave about explaining the importance of design to clients was:
"Graphic Design is always an investment, not an expense"
 Things to look up:
  • Yumi-Yang archetypes
  • Anne McCall
  • The Four Agreements
  • Demo-itis
  • Thermography


Comments